Sunday, April 19, 2009

Would You Rather....?

So I'm not really the cheesy romantic movie type of girl unless I don't want to have to follow a plot line or am just desperate to believe that love still exists in some capacity. But I got to admit, the following line is good: "I'd rather fight with you than make love with anybody else." This comes from The Wedding Date.

I, unfortunately, would have to admit that I may actually fall for someone had they decide to use that line....for about a minute and then I would smack them upside the head and ask them how much tequila they had been drinking.

Don't get me wrong. I am sure love exists. I've seen evidences of it in couples that have been married for 65 years, or in the marriage of Lucy and Eddie Padilla who showed how happy and fulfilling and full of love a marriage can be when you invite the blessed trinity into it from the beginning. But this day and age, it's kind of hard to see true love as true love unless you're watching a Disney fairy tale. When I was in high school, many of my peers got married immediately following graduation because they feared their parents would kick them out of the house. Almost 9 years later and they are in the same marriage complaining of how loveless the relationship is but because they sacrificed college and following their dreams, they're working $7/hour jobs as cashiers at Walgreens. Why they feel they can't go back to school or to a marriage counselor or just break out and try to get their dreams back is beyond me. It's like they played "Would You Rather...?" and didn't realize that the lesser of the two options is actually the one you don't want to choose and have to live with.

So, maybe if someone came up to me and told me they would rather fight with me than make love with anybody else, I'll give pause and play "Would You Rather...?" Who knows, maybe I'll pick the fight. Passion, raw emotion, connection....I'd rather have that than someone who was only in it for lust and an emotionless void.